Here’s an exercise for news writing in english.
INSTRUCTIONS: Write a news article based on the following facts. Write an appropriate headline for your article.
- The Philippines will host the APEC Summit in 2015.
- “We welcome the offer of the People’s Republic of China, the Philippines, and Peru to host APEC in 2014, 2015, and 2016 respectively,” said the 2012 Vladivostok Leaders’ Declaration. “We welcome the invitation from the President of Indonesia to meet again in Bali in 2013,” it added.
- The 21 APEC members agreed to end by 2015 raising new barriers for the following: investment, trade in goods & services, imposing new export restrictions, implementing the World Trade Organization (WTO) measures with effects to protect members in the face of the global economic downturn.
- For food security, APEC member economies reaffirmed its commitment to a 10% improvement in supply-chain performance by 2015, in terms of reduction of time, cost, and uncertainty of moving goods and services through the Asia-Pacific region.
- The representatives of the summit had a sumptuous dinner with Cornish Crab Salad on Lemon Blini, Pressed Duck Terrine with Fruit Chutney, Roulade of Goat Cheese with Caramelized Walnuts, Assortment of Palmiers and Cheese Straws, Scottish Smoked Salmon Rose on Beetroot Blini, Miniature Watercress and Asparagus Tart and Quail Eggs with Celery Salt.
- The environment was given focus with the leaders expressing concern on trafficking of endangered and protected wildlife species. A commitment was directed at strengthening efforts in combating illegal trade of environmental resources.
- Other commitments for strengthening are as follows: drive against terrorism; improve travel and tourism for job creation and disaster management.
- Members of the APEC are Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, United States of America, and Vietnam.
- The news was formally announced at the end of the 20th Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders’ Meeting, Vladivostok, Russia